Smoked Shrimp and Calamari Salad
There are many satisfying ways to serve smoked seafood. This is one of my favorites is this easy, refreshing and addictive salad. A good choice for a summer lunch on the patio or an easy supper on the deck.
Serves 4 as a side salad or appetizer.
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh hot red pepper, minced
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound smoked shrimp, squid, or scallops
- 1/4 cup thin-sliced fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup thin-sliced red onion
- 4 Greek olives, pitted, chopped
- 6 grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1. Whisk together the oil, oregano, horseradish, lime juice, vinegar and hot pepper.
2. Place the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and pour the oil/oregano mixture into the bowl. Toss to mix.
3. Correct seasoning (smoked shellfish is usually brined before smoking, so salt is not likely to be needed).
Tip: For best favor, refrigerate overnight and bring to room temperatuire before serving.
Toss with 8 oz (dry weight) cooked pasta, 1 additional clove minced garlic, 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill weed and 1 tablespoon additional olive oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.